Kaskey Park Rental Agreement
(Effective July 12, 2022)
Kaskey Park is a cherished and unique space located on a busy urban campus. It is beloved by many members of the community and our goal is to make the experience as enjoyable as possible for every visitor. The gardens are not closed to other visitors during events, therefore groups renting space within the park are expected to conduct themselves in a way that will not impinge on other visitor’s experience. Guests are to stay out of garden beds and plantings, and limit all activities to the lawn, paths and picnic areas. Groups may be denied future rental opportunities if they are found in violation of the rules outlined in this agreement.
- All reservations must be made using the online reservation request form.
- A valid University budget code or a $50 non-refundable deposit (included in the rental rate) is required to reserve the space for the preferred date/time.
- Events are added to the calendar (see the “Make A Reservation” page) on a first-come-first-served basis. Events are listed as pending for 30 days from form submission date or until the deposit (or university budget code) is received, whichever is shorter. Once the deposit is received, the date will be listed as confirmed on the calendar. After 30 days, if the deposit has not yet been received, the date will be re-listed as available on the calendar.
- Events may be scheduled in up to 5 hour blocks between 9am and 30 minutes prior to sunset. Please note that there are no lights in the garden.
- Time scheduled must include setup and cleanup time.
- Up to two events may be scheduled on each non-holiday weekday, provided that the first event concludes prior to 3:30pm. Only one event may be scheduled per day over weekends and holidays.
- If there is already an event scheduled on your reservation date please leave a 30 minute buffer between events for staff to prepare the space.
- Due to University alcohol regulations, event coordinators must submit a list of the type and quantity of alcoholic beverages they plan to include prior to the event either on the initial reservation form or via email prior to the event. The Kaskey Park Garden Manager has the authority to refuse to allow alcoholic beverages in excess of what might be considered reasonable given the number of participants.
- If this is your first time renting the garden, please let the garden staff know if you would like to meet prior to the event to clarify setup and procedures.
II. Cancellations and Rescheduling
- All cancelations, regardless of reason (including weather), must be received at least 24 hours before weekday and non-holiday events and by 12pm the previous business day for weekend and holiday events or the full event fee will be charged.
- Prior to the cancellation deadline, events may be rescheduled for an additional fee.
- Partial cancellations (ie. rain dates) are not possible, entire events must be canceled or rescheduled before the cancellation deadline for a refund.
III. Payments and Rates:
- University of Pennsylvania/Penn Medicine Groups (using 26-digit budget code):
- up to 20 attendees: $75
- up to 40 attendees: $125
- At the end of each month, event notifications will be submitted to the Life Sciences Business who will initiate the journal request.
- Non-Penn Affiliated Groups (or Penn groups not using a budget code):
- up to 20 attendees: $100
- up to 40 attendees: $150
- Check/Money Order Payments (no cash or credit cards can be accepted):
- Check #1 (Due within 30 days of form submission): $50 non-refundable deposit
- Check #2: (Due 1 week before the event): Remaining balance
- Checks to be made out to: “Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania” with “Kaskey Memorial Park” in the memo line.
- Mail checks to: Kaskey Memorial Park, University of Pennsylvania, 433 S. University Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19104
- In the event of a cancellation, Check #2 will be returned to you.
- Additional Options & Fees:
- Rain date reservations: $20
- Rescheduling fee: $25
- Excess trash/recycling fee: $20 per bag for trash and recycling not left in the designated receptacle.
- Exceptional mess or damage to the garden will incur additional fees starting at $100/hour (minimum of 1 hour) for their clean up and will be determined on a case by case basis. This includes but is not limited to litter on the ground or tables, damage to tables or plants, use of glitter/confetti, or dumping ice into garden beds.
- Excess attendees fee: any group exceeding the attendee limit will be charged an additional $250 fee.
IV. COVID-19 Safety Protocols
- Groups must adhere to all University and Park events, social distancing, and face covering standards.
- As guidance continues to evolve, visit https://coronavirus.upenn.edu/announcements and https://coronavirus.upenn.edu/content/public-health-guidance for the most complete and up to date information on Special Events and Gatherings with Visitors.
- Events with over 20 attendees should plan to use the adjacent South Lawn in addition to the Picnic Area in order to do allow attendees to spread out (both areas are included in the rental).
- Event coordinators must inform attendees of all University COVID-19 protocols and are responsible for enforcement throughout the event.
V. Event Logistics
- Pre-Event Dropoff: (Available for weekday, non-holiday events only)
- Early drop-offs must be pre-arranged with the garden staff.
- Items may not be stashed in shrubs or garden beds.
- Decorations may not be attached to plants.
- All decorations must be removed at the end of the event.
- Glitter and foil confetti are prohibited.
- Driveway space is available for drop off, but there is no parking available at the park
- Alternative or additional parking may be found on local streets or at nearby garages.
- The Picnic Area grill may only be used by members of the Biology Department.
- Bringing your own grill or other cooking equipment to Kaskey Park is prohibited.
- For Biology Department members:
- Park staff must be notified of desired grill use at the time of reservation.
- You must clean the grill after use (cleaning supplies are provided).
- Trash & Recycling:
- Trash and recycling containers will be provided for your event.
- At the end of the event, all refuse must be properly sorted into these receptacles and lids must be left fully closed.
- Boxes must be broken down and gathered for recycling removal.
- Ice must be dumped within the mulched area, not in the garden beds.
- An additional $20 per bag fee will be charged for bags or other trash not contained within the provided containers.
- Event Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Ensure that guests adhere to the park and event rules.
- Manage any additional staff (eg. caterers) hired for the event.
- Make sure that the space is tidy at the end of the event.
- Attend the event from start to finish. If unable to do so, another attendee must be designated.
- Restrooms: There are no publicly accessible restrooms in Kaskey Memorial Park or the surrounding buildings, please plan accordingly.
- Utility Access: There is no electric or water access available for events.
VI. Alcohol Policy
- The following terms must be met by any group dispensing alcohol at Kaskey Memorial Park:
- A responsible person, 21 years of age or older must dispense alcohol.
- There must be a method of checking the age of persons who are not known to the dispenser. This method must be indicated on the reservation request form.
- No alcohol is to be served to persons under age 21.
- At least 90% of the expected participants at the event must be 21 or over, with the exclusion of small children under their guardian’s care.
- No alcohol may be sold. The University does not hold a liquor license which would permit such sales.
- Due to University alcohol regulations, event coordinators will submit the type and quantity of alcoholic beverages they plan to include prior to the event, either in the reservation form or via email. The Kaskey Park Garden Manager has the authority to refuse to allow alcoholic beverages in excess of what might be considered reasonable for a given number of participants.
- By indicating on this form that “alcohol will be served”, the event coordinator and the business administrator take full responsibility for alcohol use at their event. In the case of a violation of the University alcohol policy, and/or State Law, The Biology Department will not be responsible for any resulting penalties, fines, etc.
- You can get in touch with Kaskey Park staff about reservation questions at firstname.lastname@example.org